Friday, January 8

lean on me

I'm making friends. Not just people that want me to go to the pub with them, not just people that I live with or go to class with, but people who will change me. People who will be a part of me forever. I just know it.

Crowded in a small circle in the back corner of the George and Dragon--a pub that, if you cut through the alleyway behind my flat, is a two minute walk away--we sat tonight drinking our Strongbow and Bulmer's and talking. Still soaking up the fact that we're in England. Living here...

"we've been given an opportunity that a lot of people would die for"
"this is the only time in our lives when we can go home broke and be happy"
"if we have a chance to do something or go somewhere, we are going to take it"
"I cried when I found out I was coming"
"it means the world to have people like yall to be here with"
"we're going to have the time of our lives"
"no one is missing out on anything, even if it means I have to pay for it myself"
"I am so blessed, I am so lucky"
"I love you guys"

I know that if I surround myself with people that make these kinds of statements, I am not only going to see the world, but I am going to go back the United States with a greater wholeness inside of me. This experience would be nothing compared to what it will be with my friends beside me. People who remind me why we're here, why life is beautiful, and why every day is worth embracing with open arms.

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For, it won't be long
'til I'm gonna need somebody to lean on
-Bill Withers

Quick updates:
-I have my first class tomorrow and I can't WAIT. I love school. I'm a nerd for life. Please assign me an essay right now.
-My roomie had to go back home because things didn't work out with her classes, so now I have a big room to myself and an extra bed (all the more reason for visitors!!)
-I went to chapel yesterday in one of the most beautiful chapels I have ever seen. The University of Chester is an Anglican school, but they performed a Methodist liturgy yesterday which made me feel at home and brought tears to my eyes!
-Daytrip to Manchester on Saturday!!



1 comment:

Dale and Saul said...

Hey!!!
I can't believe you have such a giant room for just you!!!
I just wanted to tell you to remember in those moments of sadness and longing for home, that it will always be here when you need it. You are having an experience that will enrich your life forever, and enrich the lives of those back home.
Once things get on a regular schedule that will REALLY help. I promise. Also, once you get everything you need from the store and get settled into your house, and you are no longer shopping and decorating jetlagged, it will become the place you call "home."
Just know that after all of my time abroad, I look at your photos and I long to see England again, around London or Stratford or Bath. Seeing the things I never thought I could.
My heart will forever be in England, so make sure to give it a hug while you're there.
Oh, and btw, Episcopalians rock!!! So do Methodists, but I just wanted to let you know that Anglicans are just like special Episcopalians. Fancier I would say. They are the Katherine Hepburns to the whimsical Audrey Hepburns Episcopalian. Both are good, just different. :)
I'm glad they had a Methodist service in the church near you. Episcopalians and Methodists have very similar origins. We're tight. If you try out an Episcopal service, just think of me!

Love you,
Laura