Wednesday, May 12

for Rachel and Heather


Whilst (as my English friends say) I've been sipping tea and gallivanting through the daffodils in England, two of my best friends spent their semester abroad in Accra, Ghana. 

To two of the most beautiful women I know,

 may the air be hot and the dust be thick
may you be covered, head to toe, in Ghana
may you soak it up, store it up,
bathe yourselves in it's beauty
its pain
its wonder
its spirit

may these last four days be short 
short like every moment was fleetingly beautiful
and may they be long
long like every day was filled to overflowing

may you laugh like you've never laughed before
may you cry like you've never cried before
and hold onto one another
and hold onto Ghana
and hold onto home

may you pick up your heart and place it in their hands
leave it
leave your heart in Ghana
may it be beautiful
may it be right

may you look forward in expectation of home
may every step towards it be marked by peace
that peace that passes all understanding
I promise it is there

may you see God in Ghana
may you leave knowing He is still there

may you kiss the children
ride the tro tro (I'm still not sure what that is by the way...)
go to the market
look at the stars
feel the earth beneath your feet

yes, may you feel
and may you know
may you trust
and may you hope

may you open your arms
open your ears 
open your eyes
open your hearts

may you intertwine yourself in its story
Ghana's story
their story
each other's story

may you leave a few loose ends  untied
and know that it is good that way

May you never be the same again. 





I love you both.
Stay beautiful,
Michelle

No comments: