Saturday, February 27

Dear home, I miss you

England is a lovely, wonderful, amazing place with fantastic people. I'm learning so much and am so thankful to be here.

With that said, I miss so many little things about home...
  • wearing sundresses with cowboy boots
  • country music radio
  • Chuy's, Papasitos, and Rico's
  • pine trees
  • driving
  • Blue Bell mint chocolate chip icecream
  • drinking coffee with Mommy and Daddy in the study every morning
  • coming up the driveway and seeing Mommy waving at me through the kitchen window while she makes dinner
  • the feeling of walking into Fellowship every Thursday night and having a meal with people I love
  • the cafeteria ladies telling me I'm beautiful
  • Razorback fever
  • neighborhood parks
  • Hendrix lampposts
  • Starbucks dates
  • RLC meetings that randomly end in hymn singing
  • hippies
  • breakfast dates with Jordana: The New York Times, cinnabon coffee with vanilla creamer, and talking about how much we love learning
  • late night walks around campus (and feeling completely safe)
  • cramming too many people into mine and Heather's little room for community group
  • thinking 65 degrees is cold
  • studying in the Murphy house with a cup of Earl Gray tea
  • mine and Rachel's silent agreement that whoever gets up from the table first at a meal goes and looks to see if there are chocolate chip cookies at the dessert bar and immediately reports back
  • having more than 7 shirts to choose from
  • the greenbelt
  • going to Walmart
  • leaving my belongings anywhere and trusting they won't be stolen
  • reading the Bible with my roommate every night
  • waking her up with the sound of my hairspray every morning
  • texting
  • being able to walk anywhere on campus in five or six minutes
  • the excitement of driving to Little Rock for a birthday dinner
  • getting ready with all my friends...doing each other's hair and makeup, blaring our music, and taking pictures
  • sleepless nights in the Bailey Library
  • amazing professors and faculty who know my name and care about me
  • hearing my name called out across the sunny Pecan court
  • pizza making contests with my family
  • wearing blue jeans and tennis shoes and not feeling like a slob
  • one faucet, not two
  • did I already mention the Mexican food and icecream?
:)

Being in England makes me realize how much I love home. My family. My friends. America. The South. Kingwood. Hendrix College. And all the little things that they entail, because I could go on forever.

And I like that. I like that I can love England, yet embrace the fact that being here makes me love home even more, and know that that is where I belong. If I never go abroad again, I will be happy knowing that I did this, I saw the world, and I returned home happily, knowing that for the long run, home is where I want to be.

6 comments:

Heather Michelle Newell said...

This brought a smile to my face :)

That's such a great part of being away from home, being in a new place reminds us of how much we really love home...and that is just such a special experience.

Girlllll I have to say, my new roomie here uses a lot of cocunut oil for her hair. Still, I don't even think it comes close to you and your Texas hairspray. LOVE IT :)

Lauren Renee said...

<3

Lee Ann Stiles said...

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! We miss you too:-) Our fish and chips were good. And we finally watched Julie & Julia. Good night...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

xoxo, Mommy

Jo said...

Michelle-belle

this was too cute, I loved everything about your list. I miss having breakfast with you. We'll just have to take some morning classes together senior year to remedy this :) I love you like crazy!

Alyssa Olivia Marcelline said...

Your list made me smile.. Know that you are missed as well, but this will just make our reuniting that much more amazing in August! Love you

christy said...

excuse me, but you better miss me too!!
lol i love you cutie pie <3