Thursday, October 21

it's a love story ♥


He asked me to marry him, and I said yes! 

I feel like I'm the happiest, luckiest girl in this entire world.

Jon and I met through our University's Christian Union while I was spending my semester abroad in Chester, England. Neither one of us were looking, but after spending an evening having dinner with a group of his friends, we decided to spend some time together the next morning. Halfway through the morning we decided it was a date, and the rest is history.

They say "when you know, you know", and although I never believed it before, I knew pretty soon that I was in love with Jon, and he loved me back. 

After my return to America and spending 3 1/2 months apart, skyping, emailing, and sending a few letters, Jon came to visit me in my own country for ten days. Anxiously waiting at the airport, my heart about stopped the moment I saw him walking down that long hallway. I ran into his arms, and my feet haven't really touched the ground since.

The past couple weeks we spent time both at my college in Conway, Arkansas and also at my parents' home in Kingwood, Texas. Once in Texas, he spoke with my dad and then took me on a walk around some of the beautiful lakes in our community. Sitting on a blanket in the sun next to the lake, Jon told me he hadn't given me my present for that day yet, as he had brought with him in his suitcase little wrapped presents from England like tea and chocolate buttons for each day that we spent together. 

Naturally delighted, I said okay, and he told me I would need to stand up and close my eyes for him to give it to me. I did, of course, and when he told me to open my eyes, he was down on one knee in front of me, holding the prettiest ring I've ever seen, and asked me to marry him. 

The minutes, hours, and days that followed were filled with celebration. We told the world, stayed up until early in the morning to call all our friends and family in England, toasted with champagne, and just completely enjoyed being together. 

He's my best friend. When times are good and also when they're bad, I think we make a great team. He makes me laugh, genuinely, no matter what. I like the person that I am when we're together. He challenges and inspires me to be Christlike. I feel like, no matter where I am, when I'm with him I'm at home. He is kind, generous, compassionate, and so full of joy. He is the most amazing person I've ever known, and I am going to love him for the rest of my life. 

Throughout falling more and more in love with Jon, on this journey from meeting back in the winter to getting engaged last week, God has been so clearly present. I feel absolutely called to this marriage, and all I can do is stand in awe of God for creating something so beautiful as love.

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive. Jon and I both love you very much.

just minutes after getting engaged
the view at the lake
admiring my engagement ring


Love, Michelle ♥ 

4 comments:

Heather Michelle Newell said...

<3
you are radiating happiness, love.
that's exactly what this life is all about.
thanks for sharing. you will look back on this years from now and will be so happy you wrote it.
:) :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to read 'the story'. . brings tears to my eyes . . . . hard to imagine 'my flower girl' is getting married! So happy for you and Jon. We look forward to meeting this amazing young man that you have fallen in love with. Love you and miss seeing you!

Kate said...

Michelle,
this blog post is absolutely gorgeous. I am so happy for you and the life you have ahead of you. I know that God is going to use your marriage in way that you can't even imagine yet. Lovely, be blessed this day:)

<3

Anonymous said...

that's a beautiful story, Michelle! I'm so happy for you!!
(This is Sarah T. by the way)