Monday, April 26

tastes of heaven

My head hit the pillow like a pebble in the ocean, everything disappearing and peace calmly rippling through. I snuggled up under the big, thick duvet, flicked off the light and smiled from the inside out.

Today was like heaven, I thought.

My boyfriend and I were invited to spend the day with his friends (and now mine) Paul and Jan North, and their two beautiful children Lois and William, Saturday in Nantwich, England. The sun was shining bright and blue, the daffodils were all perked up and smiling, and the air was warm. So Jon wore shorts, I wore a light jacket, and we took an hour busride through the lovely Cheshire countryside down to the North's village.

Arriving at a residential bus stop, greeted by Paul, and ushered into the back garden of their home to immediately begin kicking around a football, the nervousness of meeting new people lingered only a short while with babies running around, Paul dressing us up as Bible characters to photograph for his Sunday talk, and a lively, casual lunch around the picnic table.

Popping cherry tomatoes in my mouth, laughing, and delighted to be in the presence of people older than me and people younger than me, the sweet frenzy of lunch with the North's young family was so refreshing. As it died down, Jon strummed a guitar, and when Paul and Jan went inside to wash up I was given the best job--drawing pictures on the lawn with Lois and rolling around a rugby ball with little William. They are one and two, and just delightful.

The better part of the afternoon was spent on a little trip to the ice cream farm. Although I had no idea what that meant and just smiled and agreed to go, I was happy to discover that there were icecream cones for all (except William, who may have thrown a fit) involved, as well as getting to push a stroller and hold little hands while peeping though fences at the animals.

On the way home from the ice cream farm, we stopped at the vicarage where some other friends of Jon and the North's live. I got to wander around their beautiful church, play with their dogs, relearn the game of croquet, have a cup of tea (and spill half of it on myself...), and of course, play with the children some more. The whole time, the air was fresh, the trees were in full bloom, and everything just felt so peaceful and so right.

I love the way good people bring out the best other people. They just kept a smile on my face and made me feel welcome, the way people who live their lives in love should. I want to be like that to others.

By the time we were heading back to the North's house the kids were getting tired so they had their tea (aka dinner...yes, it confuses me too) and baths, stories, bottles, and went to bed. I learned how to play cricket while our tea was prepared, and then we had a lovely meal before being driven to the train station, prayed for, and sent on our way.

As I lay down in bed that night, the only thing I could think was how the entire day felt like this lingering taste of heaven in my heart. I think sometimes God just gives us these days, these really good days--blue skies, icecream, babies, new friends, dogs, games--and they're a taste of what life is meant to be as He created it.

I don't know what heaven is. I don't know if it's a place or a concept or who will be there or when we will go there or what. I do believe in a big God, though. A God who is big enough for not knowing to be more than okay.

What I do know is that my Saturday reminded me that we can all be a taste of heaven in this broken and beautiful world. Despite all that goes on in this life, everyday can be a glimpse of life as it was created to be. I know this isn't heaven, but I'm sure I've met a few angels along the way.


♥


4 comments:

Lauren Renee said...

Mich,
This is lovely.
<3

Kate said...

you are a beautiful writer Michelle! I love you<3

Lee Ann Stiles said...

Ooooooh...sounds like you did have a LOVELY week-end. Glorious and delicious descriptions. I had wondered who the little lad was in your profile pic. And now everyone asking me about your bf has a pic to view:) Love you fathoms...xoxoxo, Mommy

Heather Michelle Newell said...

Angels are all around.
And, you are right. Even in this crazy, beautiful, broken world, there are certainly glimpses of heaven.
It's an even more beautiful thing to SEE them--that is life.
Your writing is also lovely. You almost sound English writing it :)
Love, as always.