Saturday, August 8

England

Two years ago when I signed up for this whole Hendrix College gig, I had absolutely no clue what I was getting myself into. And it's a good thing, too, because I wouldn't have believed the wonderful things I'd be doing if you had told me. Because we have an amazing art professor named Dr. Miller who loves C.S. Lewis and because we have a generous foundation that supports the study of language and literature (Hendrix-Murphy Foundation), I had the opportunity to travel to Oxford, England to study C.S. Lewis. Not only that, but we lived in his former home, saw some of the most beautiful parts of the English countryside, ate at some amazing old pubs, and met some absolutely amazing people.

Yes, I am quite possibly the luckiest girl in the world.

reflection of the countryside off the river at dusk

The Kilns, C.S. Lewis' former home

fellow Hendrix students, and amazing people I am so happy to now have as friends

It was wonderful.

absolutely wonderful.

I learned a lot about C.S. Lewis during my time there and have an absolutely new appreciation for him and his writings, but I have to tell you a secret. My favorite part of England was the churches. Everywhere we went, I wanted to go to church. I went to services at Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Holy Trinity (C.S. Lewis' little country church). I also saw about ten other old and resilient churches and every single time I was just in awe of their beauty. One was built in the 700's! I can't even comprehend what that means. I love church. I love communities of people coming together in the name of something holy. I love the normalcy that takes place in these remarkable, antique buildings. I love the mystery that takes place in these mere places. I love being reminded of the magnitude, holiness, and beauty of what Christian community means by the places where our ancestors used to meet and contemporary people still do. I love fact that these structures--these churches--have seen generations upon generations of life and struggle, hardship and hope, healing and redemption, peace and community.



5 comments:

rebeccajaned said...

i'm so glad you got to go to england. and i love that you got to see so many churches. i agree. there is something beautiful and self-diminishing and reassuring about sitting where other have sat, praying how others have prayed.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about churches! I have a hard time passing one by without going in or at least taking a picture...steeple pics are my favorite as they remind to think on things Above.

I also loved the post you left on the 5th, you're on the right track! You can do it all, but you can wait and just enjoy the ride - don't be in a hurry...Dianna

Bold as Love said...

Life is SO amazing. I mean, you got to go to England for gosh sakes! I can't wait to hear ALL about what you learned about C.S. Lewis. And also to read Mere Christianity. Because of course it has to happen.

700s?!? That is mindblowing. Just imaging all the lives changed in all those structures. And even outside them living with others. Amazing.

Alyssa Olivia Marcelline said...

Michelle,
First, I am so happy you were able to go on this trip, it sounds amazing. From that, I cannot believe the sights you were able to see, and I am sure the churches were amazing. There is an overwhelming feeling stepping into a place as old as the 700's. All the history that is in a building as old as that is mindblowing. I know how i feel when I step into churches that have been around since the 1700's and that is an experience. I am so glad you had such a good time.

Heather Michelle Newell said...

Darling Michelle,
I like the way you talk about England and your time over there. I can tell that it was such an incredible experience for you, and as always can you believe the doors Hendrix opens for us?
I love that you loved the communities. And the churches.
WOW--the 700s?!?1?
Can you even begin to fathom that? To fathom the hearts that have been changed? The lives that have been influenced?
Your pictures are also so beautiful. Your pictures and words seem to always flow together, united by your passion, curiosity, and sincere search for meaning in everything. I love it, and it's one of the many reasons I love you!