Monday, May 4

plaid flannel shirts

So...I wrote this poem. And I know it's kind of silly. And I know that if you go to Hendrix it's cliche because all the slam poets have poems that sound like this, but I'm okay with that. I know it kind of sounds like a lame attempt at a personals ad, but it definitely is not. My friends have been pointing out every boy in plaid flannel for weeks now, and I knew I had to finish this and post it before they did it themselves. So here you go....

I want a boy that wears plaid flannel shirts
Wears top buttons unbuttoned
Wears sleeves pushed up

Rides bicycles barefoot
Feet rustling the grass
The way he rustles my hair

And a million blades of grass on his rough skin
Speed by only a little bit slower than the goose bumps on my arms
When he smiles

I want a boy who eats the earth
Drinks the sun
and prays

I want a boy that drives over the speed limit
Hand outstretched, embracing rushing air
Just to feel alive

Tells me he wants to live in a van,
Race me to the door, and go on dates
to watch Razorback fans in the Walmart parking lot

I want a boy that makes me want to sing Taylor Swift
Dance in the shower
And forget to go to sleep

I want Holden Caulfield,
Levis jeans,
and an offensive collection of bumper stickers

I want a boy who’d rather chase his dreams
And never get there
Than stop chasing for a single moment

Sings because he’s bad
Laughs because I deserve it
And usually burns the toast

I want a boy who gets dirty
Reads books
and, most importantly, thinks

Believes more in God than religion
More in hope than what he feels
More in beauty than what he sees
More in truth than what he knows
And more in love than me

I want a boy who’s a man
Or at least getting there
And always will be

With a smile like he means it
A pair of jeans you’d swear he never took off
The occasional cup of coffee
The always five o’clock shadow
And a plaid flannel shirt

4 comments:

christy said...

i want this painted in HUGE letters on my ceiling.
I LOVE THIS
you are precious.. and so is your poem!

Heather Michelle Newell said...

This is Heather, Rachel, and Lauren.
We LOVE your poem.
And you will find that man, we know it : )
From Heather: I especially liked the part about him riding a bike barefoot, grass on his skin, AND making you want to dance to Taylor Swift. I mean OBVIIIII. Maybe flannel shirt boy has a brother? A friend? Hook me up girlll. Seriously, I love this. I want a copy. Thank you for sharing, darling : )Oh, and next year, you totally should enter the slam poetry contest with this, who knows what could happen?!

From Lauren: I loved the Holden Caulfield part SO much. My heart skips a beat when I read your poetry. You make me slow down and take in the scene. I'm so glad you finished. This is going on the back of a picture of you and me, and guess which page it's gonna mark?! I love you, please never stop writing.

From Rachel: Obviously plaid flannel guy makes you FEARLESS. Also, my favorite parts were about the razorbacks (because YOU would) and also the part about him getting dirty, reading, and thinking. That's what I want as well. Also, slam poets have nothing on this!

rebeccajaned said...

michelle i love it. i think it's a great expression of who your looking for. don't worry, he'll come. i especially love this part:
"I want a boy who eats the earth
Drinks the sun
and prays"
it creates such a powerful image in my imagination.

p.s. i like the layout changes <3 <3

Alyssa Olivia Marcelline said...

Michelle,
The way you write is beautiful. I cannot express how vibrant your words are. Each sentence sticks our from the one before it, though flowing like nothing I have read before. Please never stop writing, it lets people see into your soul and the beauty that runs through your veins that is beyond skin deep. I love you, and I miss you girl! You are amazing!