Not with string
And not with wire
But rather with the stuff that is life
With smiles, laughter, and songs
With embraces, silence, and sobs
We have tied our hearts together
Like the sunshine is tied to the flower
And like the river is tied to the sea
We have tied our hearts together
Because it is the way we make sense
Because it is where we find peace
I love you because you are
Because you are you
Just as the wave says to the shore
Because you have become a part of me
And I a part of you
And we, together, simply are
We have tied our hearts together
Because you’re beautiful, every little piece, love
Because baby, you can have whatever you like
Because the smell of your skin lingers on me now
Because I tried to be chill, but you’re so hot that I melted
Because I want you and your beautiful soul
Because we’re glamorous: flossy, flossy
Because I fly like paper, get high like planes
Because it's a love story, baby just say yes
Because she drives a vegetable car
Because this one's by a cat named Mat Nathanson
Because I’m starin’ up the road, pray to God I see headlights
Because I’m free…free fallin’
We have tied our hearts together
And I know who I am
Because, everyday, I know who you are
Because you are the friends
who center me, surround me
and make sense of the universe
Like cinnamon
Like sea foam
Like socks
Your heart beats when mine cannot
Your hand squeezes when mine feels lost
Your bed is there when mine is cold
And I’m okay with saying I need you
Because I know you need me too
Because when your hearts are tied together
Everything
feels lighter, stronger, sweeter
good.


4 comments:
"we have tied our hearts together
because it is the way we make sense
because it is where we find peace"
Amen sister.
You complete me. There is no other way to say it.
I miss you. This was beautiful.
Also. I love the lyrics. obvi. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Michelle,
Sometimes you make me cry because your writing, your voice, is so powerful; so beautiful. The ability you have to make me smile resonates so strongly through your words. Every little piece, love. As always, you leave me breathless. I miss you. I love you.
<3 Laursie
Michelle, the love of my life,
This was one of my favorite things that you have written, and honey, I love everything you write.
It just made me FEEL. It made me cry, but they were good tears, they were tears that reminded me of how much I love you. How much I love my friends, and how much I love Hendrix.
I needed to read this, it came at such a good time.
You just know exactly what to say. Why am I so utterly blessed to have you? How did I get so lucky to have a beautiful friend like you?
My favorite part? I love your metaphorical allusions to the ocean because it made me swoon, and also the lyrics. I mean OMG..PERFECT.
I miss you so very much. Distance DOES make the heart grow fonder.
Love always always always,
Heather
Michelle,
You make my heart happy. This is beautiful, and true, and...so you! <3
Post a Comment