Monday, August 4

my five dollar art

The Sunday edition of the New York Times costs $5. Five dollars. I know this not because I ever attempted to buy one, but because I sold one to a doctor today at Starbucks. I am actually only assuming he was a doctor. He was wearing scrubs and shelling out almost my full hourly wage at the Bux for some newsprint, and these are the grounds upon which I base my assumption.


Now, I was at first appalled. The man could have bought a whole book. Or five whole songs on Itunes. Or a week’s worth of Houston Chronicles. But he didn’t. And after my initial impression had sunk in and I handed Dr. Nonfat Latte his receipt, I began to grow curious. What is it that makes the Sunday edition of the New York Times so fabulous? So…expensive?


Fortunately for me, as soon as we closed the store at 10:30 there were three extra $5 papers ready to hit the trash, tomorrow’s paper probably already hitting the press as I wiped down Frappuchino drenched furniture. So instead of throwing them all away, I took one home with me to investigate.


And investigate I did. I sat down in the living room floor, turned on all the lamps for optimal viewing, and delved into a thick, heavy stack of those thin, inky papers. All folded in perfection, I hated to mess them up, so I unfolded them neatly and mentally noted what order to arrange the sections back in when I was finished. After all, I couldn’t hoard my free paper. My plan is to show it off to the family tomorrow morning.


Before even reading a word, the whole five dollar thing became clearer…and clearer…and clearer with each section my eager hands pried from the bulk. With only a few glances, this thing is a work of art.


The photography is stunning.
The headlines are intriguing.
The ads are compelling.
There are two news magazines tucked inside the newspaper.
The amount and diversity of things to read are overwhelming.



Dazzled, the only thing left to do was begin reading. I should have known. The writing…is…awesome. I glanced through, read a few articles, and pondered my own ignorance of many topics and newsworthy materials. I pondered my personal insignificance both in the world of the New York Times and the geniuses who create it. How small a minnow I am in such a gigantic ocean.


I folded it up neatly as promised and I highly suggest that you come over tomorrow and gaze upon the beauty, complexity, and ingeniousness of my prized free copy of the Sunday edition of the New York Times. I love the thing. If it weren’t so fat I’d frame it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really well written, made me want to see the magazines. =)

Jo said...

the reason why I love the times, espc. the sunday edition is because there literally is something for everyone. My favorites are the op-ed section and the arts and although you can read everything online for free it is nowhere near the same as reading the paper in print in front of you. I loved your entry :-)
-jordana

Anonymous said...

i gotta tell you... this was one of my favorite entries so far.
I've only ever heard bad things about this paper, seeing as how my parents are conservative republicans... with strong opinions. It was neat seeing somebody else's opinion on the paper.
I love how you can take little things that most people don't give a second thought... and turn them into something beatiful!

Heather Michelle Newell said...

this is so interesting!
i never considered the times in such a way. maybe we should have it delivered to our future homes when we live side by side ;) ?
but seriously i love how you described the whole process..being a writer is in your blood. i love you.

rebeccajaned said...

Michelle i really like this. I have to completely agree the paper is a magical thing and it deserves an appreciation we very seldom give it. and the times is, truly, a masterpiece. try working the crossword puzzle - you'll be confused for days!