Thursday, July 10

better days


"...I'm all screwed up so royally, And I stumbled my way here, But wait, oh wait. Grace has found me, Shaken up my soul, Grace will follow, Wherever you will go. Listen to me now for grace, oh grace, Is calling for you just to say: Here come better days. And here come better days. Better days, and a better place I know. Green grass, and I'm laying in the sunlight of you, And the wind is moving through the trees ushering you, And the better days you bring, the better places found, Feasting at your table I am overwhelmed. I lift my glass and drink to love that never gave up, Clouds pass fading into memories gone, And all I have to show for life is life and love and peace. What else could there be?" -Robbie Seay Band

It's Thursday morning. 7:55am. The Houston heat seeps deeper and deeper with every moment of the sun's daily ascent. My hot pink coffee cup is quickly becoming empty as my hand involuntarily swings from cup-holder to mouth at each opportune moment that the big, white Chevrolet I'm guiding down the road pauses for another stop sign. I sip harder when I think about the amount of sleep I got the night before.

I'm definitely not in the mood for the country music that comes blaring through the speakers, a remainder from my previous night's late drive home from work at Starbucks. The only possible thing to listen to this morning is Robbie Seay Band. So I slip in the Better Days disk, one of my favorites. I've heard the song a thousand times. "First of all, thanks for listening to our songs..." subtly begins the album. How can you not love that?

They've found me traveling in my car, actually. And the soft words drifting through my speakers almost instantly draw my mind from the muck. I am reminded that this, all of this, is glorious.

With the sting of sleep deprivation comes the promise of a long, sweet afternoon nap.
With my mundane, daily worries rolling around like marbles in my mind come a hope that these things too, shall pass. Yet I await not their decease but a chance to know The Love that never gives up through the midst of it.
With every ounce of gasoline burning my way down Kingwood drive comes the knowledge of my destination. The Mission.

How easy it is to forget the beauty of the everyday.

How easy it is turn back to Grace.

Here come better days. Not tomorrow, not when this life is over. But in this very moment. For the rest of my ride I know life. I know peace. I know love. I know joy. I know hope. I lift my arms in adoration of the overwhelming feast set before me.

Ten minutes later I pick up Shelby. Thirteen. Beautiful. Full of tenderness and care, laughter and goodness. She scolds me for my lack of sleep and we laugh hysterically over this and that, finding amusement in simply being together. Ten minutes more and we pull up to The Mission. Old stomping grounds by this point in the summer. But everyday, it sets my heart anew.

I set to work immediately. Hunt down a wrench so I can turn on the water spout for outside games. Find all the components of the camera necessary for capturing bits and pieces of the day on film. Get out pencils and papers, snacks and supplies. But none of it is work to me, because thirty six shining, childish faces arrive sooner than I can imagine. Kisses and hugs. Laughter and games. Sharing and learning. Mischief and songs. The hours are fast and the moments fleeting, and I want to savor every one. Let every one linger, in hope that I will remember well enough to satisfy when my days here have long past but my hunger remains.

This is life, these better days.

"And all I have to show for life is life and love and peace. What
else could there be?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"and all I have to show for life is life and love and peace."
-michelle- i love this piece! it's so sweet and heartfelt.
Then again, all of your pieces are =)
Thank you for sharing your heart with us- i love reading your blogs!

Nicole said...

you're such an amazing woman. :)

Heather Michelle Newell said...

"I lift my arms in adoration of the overwhelming feast set before me."

Beautifully written. Thank you for writing this. I love it :)

Anonymous said...

Love your writing style, it is so beautiful.

I have to agree though, no matter how tired I was, the moment I got in there with the kids my energy went through the roof, granted that once I got home I passed out lol.